“WILLI SCHRÖDER” JUVENILE WORKHOUSE in Rühn
In 1950, the “Neues Leben” juvenile workhouse was established on the grounds of the Rühn monastery. Three years later, it was renamed “Willi Schröder”. Due to its rural location, juveniles were mainly detained there for “re-education” after being classified as “difficult to educate and especially at risk of absconding”. In 1953, the juvenile workhouse had a capacity of 110 male and female juveniles aged 14 to 18. In the 1960s, further sub-workhouses were opened in Eickelberg, Bandow, Tarnow and Malchow. From 1969 onwards, the capacity increased to 180. While detained there, boys had to train as semi-skilled workers, for instance as assistant bricklayers or helpers on the nearby farms. The girls trained as industrial seamstresses at the furniture factory Möbelwerke Bützow.
In 1991, the juvenile workhouse was completely closed down and the monastery grounds became private property. Since 2008, the site has been undergoing restoration measures by the non-profit organisation “Klosterverein Rühn e.V.”, which uses it as an event venue.